Coach Phil Willenbrock is currently a high school athletic director in Seattle, Washington. He has twenty years of coaching experience with eighteen of those years at the college level.
He started his career at San Francisco State (DII) before moving on to coach high school football in Colorado Springs at Wasson and Doherty high schools. After a one year stop at South Dakota (DII), he returned to his home state of Pennsylvania as an assistant at Allegheny College (DIII) from 1998-2001. In 2002 he accepted the head coaching job at The University of Puget Sound (WA) and went to work transforming the culture of the Puget Sound (WA) Football Team. He led them to their most productive 5 consecutive seasons in 20 years from 2004-2008. Willenbrock learned from some of the best Wing-T offensive minds and established over 20 new offensive records while at Puget Sound. In only his second year, the school set a new single season rushing record and was in the top 10 nationally in rushing for 5 consecutive seasons.
He has led clinics and camps nationwide and continues to operate camps throughout the Nation on wing-t offensive football and line play.
Highline School District, Seattle, WA. (2009-present)
Athletic Director, Campus director Evergreen Campus
• Responsible for all aspects of a high school athletic program.
University of Puget Sound, WA. (NCAA III US News highly selective rating) 2002-2009
Head Football Coach
• Responsible for all aspects of an NCAA Division III football program leading its overall competitive turnaround. Established more than 22 school records in 8 years as head coach guiding its renaissance while effectively re-defining team culture, esteem and extinguishing rampant anti-citizenship and anti-collegial behavior.
• Fall 2006 squad realized a 100% increase in roster size from 2002, and achieved the most wins in a three year period (’04, ’05, ’06) in 20 years. The classes of 2007 and 2008 were the first since the class of 1987 to have won more games than they lost in their 4 year career.
• Established effective systems of organizational management earning stake holder buy-in through trust, hard work and faith that appropriate levels of motivation and shared team leadership would lead to goal attainment.
• Effectively communicated with critical constituents to build relationships. Off campus with alumni, high school coaches, media, local civic and business leaders and regional leaders in education. On campus with physical plant, the office of student affairs, financial aid and admissions, student support services and the department of campus security among others.
Seattle University, WA. (Concurrent with Puget Sound employment)
Adjunct Faculty Member Fall, 2009. Center for Study of Sport and Exercise.
SADL 505: Sport Business and Finance
Allegheny College, PA. (NCAA III US News highly selective rating) 1998-2002 Assistant Head Coach / Offensive Coordinator / Offensive Line Coach
University of South Dakota, SD. (NCAA II full scholarship) 1997
Offensive Line Coach / Recruiting Coordinator / Physical Education Instructor
Colorado Springs School District 11, CO. 1995-1996
1996: Doherty High School Head Football Coach / Teacher of Physical Education
1995: Wasson High School Assistant Football Coach / Teacher of History
San Francisco State University, CA. (NCAA Division II) 1990-1994
Assistant Head Coach / Physical Education Lecturer
1985- State College Area High School State College, Pennsylvania.
1989- Bachelor of Arts in Physical Education; Gettysburg College, Pennsylvania.
1992- Master of Arts in Sports Administration; San Francisco State, California.
2009 – Doctor of Education in Educational Leadership; Seattle University, Washington.